I am 5
I'm a confident doer of exciting things.
I’m not built for desk sitting.
My busy brain craves action and novelty.
I’m not as grown up as some people think - I still need to play, move and explore.
Don't rush my childhood.
In 2015, only 47% of Muncie Kindergartners had the necessary essential skills to be ready to be successful.
Make sure your child is Kindergarten-ready with this list of essential skills:
- Copies or writes own name
- Identifies rhyming words
- Identifies beginning sounds in words
- Identifies at least 13 letters of the alphabet
- Completes basic responsibilities related to daily needs
- Follows basic health and safety rules
- Accepts guidance and directions from familiar adults
- Follows daily routines and classroom rules
- Follows directions and responds to limits set by teacher
- Controls feelings of frustration, distress and anxiety when challenged
- Resolves conflicts in socially acceptable ways
- Watches & listens to stories to completion
- Stays on task during adult-directed activities
- Sees a simple task to completion
- Gives name, age and gender upon request
- Identifies 5 colors
- Counts 5 objects, using one-to-one correspondence
- Asks for help
- Communicates needs and wants
- Understands and follows directions
- Listens to gather information
- Uses speech that is understandable
- Recognizes own name in isolated print